Emily maynard dating jeremy shockey
Refrain from automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort to Google's system: If you are conducting research on machine translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. Member American Historical Association, Historical Society of Pennsyl Tania, and Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania ILLUSTRATED IN TWO VOLUMES VOLUME II XTbe fcnicfterbocfter press NEW YORK 1904 Copyright, 1904 BY J. BAUSMAN Ube Knickerbocker ^rcff, Hew fiork VOLUME II BOROUGHS AND TOWNSHIPS ; CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION; APPENDIXES, Etc. About 189 s ^^® buildings of the college were destroyed by fire, but the work of rebuilding was at once begun and on a larger and more modem plan. We encourage the use of public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help. HISTORY OF BEAVER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA CHAPTER XVI BEAVER BOROUGH Sitiiation — Relation to other Valley Towns — Beaver Laid Out — Sale of Lots — ^Judge Addison's Letters Relating Thereto— Designation as County-Seat — Incorporation — Changes of Borough Limits — ^Water- works — Early Notices of Beaver — Early Borough Officials and Records — Harris's Directory for 1837 — Beaver Academy — Female Seminary — Beaver College and Musical Institute — Public Schools — Chiirches — Banks and Building and Loan Associations — Cemeteries — Secret Societies — Hotels — Post-office — Population — Fort Mcintosh — Naming of Public Squares. The faculty now numbers six- teen experienced teachers. On his retirement at the end of a year and a half, his place was taken by Professor Samuel Davenport, who held it for about the same length of time. Maintain attribution The Google "watermark" you see on each file is essential for informing people about this project and helping them find additional materials through Google Book Search. Keep it legal Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for ensuring that what you are doing is legal. r History OF Beaver County PENNSYLVANIA AND ITS CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION BY Rev. Imagine a rolling, wooded English landscape, with the softest of blue skies, dotted at three-mile intervals with fat little, quiet little villages, or aggressive little manufacturing towns. The departments of instruction are literary, including four courses, classical, scientific, Latin, and modem languages, each covering four years of study and lead- ing to a degree. Do not assume that just because we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States, that the work is also in the public domain for users in other countries. — Rudyard Kipling.^ Beaver, the seat of justice of Beaver County, is one of the quiet little villages referred to in the above quotation from the* correspondence of the famous English writer, Rudyard Kipling. J 6i4 History of Beaver County other towns in these valleys, there is a close social and economic connection between them. D., John Murray, Hugh Anderson, Benjamin Adams, George W. Among those actively instrumental in establishing this in- stitution were Bishop Matthew Simpson and Rev. In music there are three complete courses, piano, pipe organ, and voice. Nevertheless, this work is expensive, so in order to keep providing this resource, we have taken steps to prevent abuse by commercial parties, including placing technical restrictions on automated querying. D., who served until 1894, a period of continuous service of thirty-five years.
Public domain books belong to the public and we are merely their custodians. William Mathews to preach one day at Beavertown; and on September 12th of the same year the Rev. Sample was appointed to preach * Sec Minutes of the Presbytery oj Redsttme^ Cincinnati, Elm Street Printing Comi)any, 1*78, pp. * See History of the Presbytery of Washington, Philadelphi*. This is a digital copy of a book that was preserved for generations on library shelves before it was carefully scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online. The public schools now have a well-graded course of eight years, including all the common branches, and the High School gives a course in Latin, Greek, German, and English, preparing students for ad- mission to the freshman class of the colleges. — The remark made concerning the organization of several of the oldest churches of this denomina- tion in Beaver County, viz., that there was probably never any formal organization by Presbyterial conmiittee made, is doubt- less applicable to the church in the county-seat. It has survived long enough for the copyright to expire and the book to enter the public domain. There is no record of any organization, but there must have* been a con- gregation there for some time previous to the year 1799, for in the minutes of the Presbytery of Redstone under date of October 15th of that year occurs the following entry, " The Congregation of Beaver Creek applied for Mr. D., of Allegheny and Princeton Theological Seminaries. The trustees, by authority of the con- gregation, appointed the following building committee: Hon. If this measure takes place it will probably occa- sion disturbance and dispute, the settlers without right will claim a preference to those who, respecting the law, stand back till they can have an opportimity of settling lawfully. He was an eminent educator and had previously been president of Washington College. This is the eminent Presbyterian minister of Philadelphia, well known as a writer of many religious works. About the same time, as previously stated, the trustees of the Academy bought from the heirs of Major David Porter the three-story hotel property on the southwest comer of Third and Commerce streets, affording accommodations for school and boarding purposes. Mc Gill the Seminary greatly prospered, when, owing to the failure of his wife's health, who had been his efficient assistant in the work, he was compelled to resign in June, 1861. B., is named as the prind- Iial of the Academy and Rev. The sales will be injured, for some will be backward to purchase a disputed possession. During his principal- ship of the Academy and Seminary, Mr. The title-xage of the catalogue for 1857-8 is the same, and that of the Seminary in the same catalogue reads.